Mid-level back-end PHP developer required to build bespoke community journalism platform, with business and events listings functionality, for existing community newspaper Roman Road LDN, plus potential work building small WordPress sites for SMEs. *This is a grassroots-led social enterprise so being local to East London is preferred and being the right fit is paramount.*
You will be working with Social Streets to create a bespoke community journalism platform for Roman Road LDN.
We create magazine websites with high content volume, event listings and business listings. We have a data-led approach to web development with a strong focus on seo and we prioritise clean, light coding and speed.
We need a back-end developer with awareness of security, structure, speed and content management issues who will have experience with directories, user accounts, payment gateways, accounts, display advertising and technical seo.
If you’re full stack all the better, though our back-end needs are greater. Our site is currently on WordPress and is a leaning tower of plugins We’d like to replicate the current functionality but built from scratch.
We hope to find someone with whom we could work on a long term basis to continually develop this platform and to build small websites for SMEs.
You will be working remotely with the ability to attend face-to-face meetings at our East London office on a regular basis.
You will be reporting directly to founder and director of Social Streets, Tabitha Stapely. Stapely has worked in the world of digital content for 25 years and left her role as Digital Director of Elle Magazine to launch Social Streets.
• Excellent knowledge of PHP
• Updated knowledge of MySQL / phpMyAdmin
• Comfortable working with debugging tools like Firebug, Chrome inspector, Google Webmaster
• Proficient understanding of code versioning tools
• Solid understanding of technical on-site SEO especially around issues of duplicate content
• Familiarity with DNS configurations, CDNs and SSL to ensure a fast and secure site
• Ability to understand CSS changes and their ramifications to ensure consistent style across platforms and browsers
• Ability to work well in a multi-disciplinary team with mixed levels of technical knowledge
• Understanding of display advertising
We are seeking a talented, self-motivated and ethically minded PHP Developer to join our team of social pioneers. This is a chance to help us achieve our mission of using digital to tackle challenges in society, principally those around the decline of the high street.
• Can manage own time and workload with no supervision
• Proactive and creative about troubleshooting, problem-solving and new ideas
• Can produce quality work within a given timeframe and budget
• Strong collaborator and a self-starter with a “can-do” attitude, even if this requires learning on the job
• Confident, able to make decisions independently
• Thorough, detail-oriented and organised
• Working for a lovely group of gals all working their socks off to do things a better way
• Flexible working–based in East London with close proximity to Fish Island, Olympic Village and Victoria Park
• Joining a startup that has transitioned from foundation to growth stage with new projects in the pipeline
• The opportunity to use your digital skills for good and have rewarding work
Social Streets is a not-for-profit online media company with a social mission. We were recently honoured in the East London Innovators 2.0 list.
We use technology, community-led journalism and digital mentoring to help increase participation in high streets and local communities, particular those in disadvantaged or marginalised areas.
We work in partnership with place makers, town teams, community development organisations, local authorities, large scale developers, business improvement districts and neighbourhood forums to help them build an active community around their place.
How to apply
Job Type: Part-time freelance
Language: Fluent or proficient English required
Job Title: Back end developer (PHP/WordPress)
Location: Roman Road, Bow, East London
Deadline: Please submit your CV and tell us why the position interests you and why you think that you are the right fit for the role to tabitha @ social ]streets . co by 5pm Sunday 9th August 2020