We offer local news consultation services to help editors and local news organisations succeed in their local news, media and community outreach initiatives. Our expertise in local news, community journalism and digital media will help you thrive in an ever-changing local news and media landscape.
Our consulting services are flexible and can be tailored to meet the unique needs of each individual client, from the smallest to the largest. Whether you’re looking to improve your digital presence, grow your audience, create a content strategy or develop new revenue streams, Social Streets has the expertise and experience to help you achieve your goals.
News and media consulting services
- Digital strategy development. In today’s digital age, having a strong online presence is critical for the success of any news organisation. We can help you develop a comprehensive digital strategy. This includes website design and development, social media management, and email marketing.
- Revenue diversification. Many independent publishers and smaller news organisations are struggling to find new revenue streams as traditional advertising revenue declines. We can help you explore new revenue opportunities such as sponsored content, membership, reader donations and subscriptions.
- Newsroom training. Social Streets is unique in its fully-educational editorial floor and has trained dozens of emerging journalisms in community reporting.
- Audience development. Growing and engaging your audience is key to the success of any news organisation. We can help you develop strategies to attract new readers and retain existing ones.
- Social impact measurement. Measuring the social and economic impact of your news organisation is critical to secure grants and ESG partnerships. This provides the learnings you need to better serve your community. The Department of Culture, Media and Sports referred to Social Streets’ impact measurement work as part of the government’s inquiry into sustainable local journalism.
As a social enterprise, we believe that strong local journalism is essential to the health and well-being of our communities. We are committed to supporting local news organisations and helping them thrive in a constantly evolving media landscape.
Experience and credentials
Director and consultant Tabitha Stapely has over 30 years of experience in the media industry. She has worked in some of the largest blue chip media companies in the world. Then, after leaving Hearst UK, Stapely worked with local authorities, independent publishers and community groups on a variety of local news and media initiatives.
- 2016 – Completed year-long social enterprise incubator Cambridge Social Ventures at Cambridge Judge Business School
- 2017 – Worked with London Borough of Tower Hamlets training over 300 local businesses in digital media
- 2018 – Launched flagship title Roman Road LDN, the first independent
- 2019 – Shortlisted as East London Innovator for a pioneering model of community journalism
- 2020 – Top Wise 100 Women for media response to Covid 19
- 2021 – Completed the ‘borough’ model for Tower Hamlets with three further online titles and an overarching print magazine
- 2022 – Submitted evidence to the Government’s DCMS Inquiry into the sustainability of local journalism
- 2023 – One of 45 news titles in UK selected for the Google News Showcase promoting leading community journalism
Contact us to learn more about how our consulting services can help your news organisation succeed. We look forward to working with you.