Back end developer (PHP/Wordpress)
Social Streets is a not-for-profit digital media company with a social mission. We use technology, hyperlocal citizen-led journalism and digital mentoring to help increase participation in high streets and local communities, particular those in disadvantaged or marginalised areas.
We work in partnership with place makers, town teams, community development organisations, local authorities, large scale developers, business improvement districts and neighbourhood forums to help them build an active community around their place.
You will be working with us as the sole developer to create a high street website for one of the most famous markets in the country. You will also be working to improve current high street and community websites.
All our websites are built using WordPress as this is the most accessible platform for our clients who, by the nature of community organisations, require a CMS that can be managed by a changing rota of admins. WordPress also provides themes and frameworks enabling us to focus our development work on seo, structure and functionality.
We create magazine-style websites with high content volume. We have a data-led approach to web development with a strong focus on seo and we prioritise clean, light coding and speed.
We need a back-end developer with awareness of security, structure, speed and content management issues who will have experience with directories, blog posts, display advertising and technical seo. However you will also need enough front-end development knowledge and knowledge of frameworks such as Genesis to be able to create minor amendments to the layout and design of web pages. A full stack with back end focus!
You will be reporting directly to founder and director of Social Streets, Tabitha Stapely. Stapely has worked in the world of digital media for 25 years and left her role as Digital Director of Elle Magazine to launch Social Streets C.I.C.
This is project work offered on a freelance basis with a view to securing a more regular, central position. You will be working remotely with the ability to attend face-to-face meetings at our East London office on a regular basis. You will not be required to deal with clients.
We believe in supporting the local economy and we are hoping to develop a long term working relationship with a key member of the business so applicants who live locally or can attend local meetings regularly will be preferred.
Role & responsibilities
As a WordPress developer working in a multi-disciplinary team for a social enterprise start-up, you will be involved in all stages of design and development from conception to delivery, and leading on the following:
• Develop new WordPress sites ensuring they are responsive and cross-browser compatible
• Maintain and manage existing WordPress sites
• Manage all technical aspects of the CMS, including the ability to implement new features, plugins and functionality and debugging code errors
• Testing sites and applications in different browsers and environments
• Fixing bugs and web crawl errors
• Make recommendations on how to improve the product based on a strong understanding of industry trends and uptodate knowledge of new products
• Excellent knowledge of PHP
• Working knowledge of MySQL / phpMyAdmin
• A good understanding of the WordPress platform, plugins and frameworks such as Genesis
• Comfortable working with debugging tools like Firebug, Chrome inspector, Google Webmaster
• Proficient understanding of code versioning tools
• Solid understanding of technical on-site SEO especially around issues of duplicate content
• Familiarity with DNS configurations, CDNs and SSL to ensure a fast and secure site
• Ability to understand CSS changes and their ramifications to ensure consistent style across platforms and browsers
• Ability to work well in a multi-disciplinary team with mixed levels of technical knowledge
• Understanding of display advertising
• At least three years experience in the industry
• Experience of building backend applications, end to end
• Experience of complex WordPress projects, or willingness to tackle a complex build and put in your own time to learn on the job and deliver seamlessly
• Experience of developing new features and functionality for websites
• Experience of developing, testing and implementing new functionality
• Experience of day-to-day source code maintenance
• Experience with version control systems
• Experience integrating third-party APIs
• Experience of display advertising
• Experience of working remotely & autonomously
We are seeking a talented, self-motivated and ethically minded WordPress Developer to join our team of social pioneers. This is a chance to help us achieve our mission of using digital to tackle challenges in society, principally those around the decline of the high street.
• Can manage own time and workload with no supervision
• Proactive and creative about troubleshooting, problem-solving and new ideas
• Can produce quality work within a given timeframe and budget
• Strong collaborator and a self-starter with a "can-do" attitude, even if this requires learning on the job
• Confident, able to make decisions independently
• Thorough, detail-oriented and organised
• Flexible working
• Competitive salary based on experience
• Based in East London with close proximity to Fish Island, Olympic Village and Victoria Park
• Working for a startup that has transitioned from foundation to growth stage with new projects in the pipeline
• The opportunity to work for a social enterprise and to use your digital skills for good
How to apply
Job Type: Part-time freelance
Language: Fluent or proficient English required
Job Title: Back end developer (PHP/WordPress)
Location: Roman Road, Bow, East London
Deadline: Please submit your CV and tell us why the position interests you and why you think that you are the right fit for the role by 5pm Friday 28 September 2018