Digital Editorial Assistant
High Streets, Tower Hamlets
Social Streets is looking for a Digital Editorial Assistant to support the Digital Editor and help manage the digital content marketing and social media management for our Tower Hamlet's high street titles including Roman Road LDN.
This is an opportunity to join a small but ambitious social enterprise start-up that is pioneering hyper-local journalism as a way of increasing participation in the high street and local community life - using tech for good.
Make a difference
You will be working on two high street titles within our Social Scheme for High Streets Tower Hamlets, a scheme that helps support high streets in areas of deprivation.
This is an opportunity to use your skills to help have a positive impact on local community life. You will be helping to develop networks, celebrate local heritage and culture, promote local businesses and the local economy and a create a sense of civic pride and belonging for the whole community.
You will also have the opportunity to be mentored by founder Tabitha Stapely. Stapely has extensive experience and networks in the world of magazine publishing, digital content strategy, social enterprise, and local authority. Stapely was previously Digital Director at Elle magazine; is currently CEO of community development organisation Roman Road Trust; won a place at Cambridge Social Ventures incubator for Social Streets; is an RSA Fellow and has been invited to be a Fellow of Social Innovation at Cambridge University.
Responsibilities and duties
Research, strategy and reporting
- Help to develop and implement our digital and social media strategy around keywords and data, driving growth across all channels
- Manage social media calendar ensuring the social media strategy is executed as planned
- Work with the commercial manager to ensure an appropriate and effective social presence is being woven into commercial briefs
- Use analytical tools to track performance of web content, newsletters and social channels and work with the editor to make improvements and inform strategy
- Stay on top of digital and social media trends, and identifying emerging software, apps and programmes
- Create and present end of month reports
Editorial, writing and optimising
- Write and edit weekly roundup articles
- Oversee production and quality control of the website, applying best practice onpage SEO
- Build a network of reciprocated links
- Help repurpose and refresh evergreen and cornerstone content
- Work with the editor to devise effective ways to turn web content into fun and engaging social content
- Create unique photographic content for social media platforms
- Optimise and share our content across social media networks including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
- Manage the community across social platforms, including moderating comments
- Come up with ideas for and help manage our social media collaborations with other titles/brands/bloggers to extend reach
- Identify and create content for social media videos
- Write newsletters and help to manage our newsletter database and mailing lists
- To develop and maintain contacts with key people and brands in the community
- A foot in both camps - you will need to be commercially minded with an instinct for marketing but also a natural storyteller with an editorial mindset
- Write engaging copy at speed and under pressure - you'll be able to respond in a timely way to happenings and opportunities
- Have an eye for visuals - you'll be able to create beautiful and inspiring images for social platforms such as Instagram.
- Be agile, experimental, innovative and responsive - we are helping deliver a product for the millennial generation and beyond.
- Understand and enjoy SEO from metadata to hashtags - there's a little bit of geek in you.
- Have excellent people skills - you will be able to engage and charm the person on the street as well as celebrity bloggers.
- A passion for community - you will be able to see the extraordinary in the ordinary.
- Google Drive
- Google Analytics
- Tweet Deck / Hootsuite
- Photography for Instagram
Social Streets is a digital publishing company with a social mission: to increase participation in local community and high streets.
We grow brands, create digital content and develop digital media strategies for places: towns, high streets, neighbourhoods, communities, even postcodes.
Social Streets is dedicated to developing community and hyperlocal journalism to help build stronger communities and support local economy. That is why our workplace is a centre of innovation and learning, attracting partnerships with universities and social enterprises, and helping us to be efficient, creative, innovative, agile and long term.
We work in partnership with place makers, town teams, community development organisations, local authorities, large scale developers, business improvement districts and neighbourhood forums to help them build an active community around their place.
Experience, salary and working arrangements
Location: you will be based at the Social Streets Studio at Mulberry UTC in Bow, East London.
Hours: 37.5 hours a week, 9am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday except one day when you will be working a half day; plus Saturday mornings to cover events, high street, shopping and street markets.
Contract: this is one-year contract with five weeks holiday per year including bank holidays.
Salary: £18,000-£20,000, with annual cost of living adjustment.
Experience: The ideal candidate will have one or two years of experience as an intern/assistant in one or more of Journalism, Digital Marketing or Social Media.
Graduates: If you have little or no experience, you can apply to our Internship Programme where you will receive three months of training with an expectation of securing the role at entry level salary on a permanent basis. The internship is paid £45 per day.
Email email@example.com before 5pm on 19 February 2018 with:
- Your CV
- A covering letter explaining why community and hyper local journalism matters in our society
- 500 word non-fiction memoir about a neighbourhood you know and love in the spirit of our motto, Loving Where You Live.